June 21, 2013

Ink - Review

Ink (Paper Gods #1)
by Amanda Sun
Blurb
I looked down at the paper, still touching the tip of my shoe. I reached for it, flipping the page over to look.

Scrawls of ink outlined a drawing of a girl lying on a bench.

A sick feeling started to twist in my stomach, like motion sickness.

And then the girl in the drawing turned her head, and her inky eyes glared straight into mine.

On the heels of a family tragedy, the last thing Katie Greene wants to do is move halfway across the world. Stuck with her aunt in Shizuoka, Japan, Katie feels lost. Alone. She doesn’t know the language, she can barely hold a pair of chopsticks, and she can’t seem to get the hang of taking her shoes off whenever she enters a building.

Then there’s gorgeous but aloof Tomohiro, star of the school’s kendo team. How did he really get the scar on his arm? Katie isn’t prepared for the answer. But when she sees the things he draws start moving, there’s no denying the truth: Tomo has a connection to the ancient gods of Japan, and being near Katie is causing his abilities to spiral out of control. If the wrong people notice, they'll both be targets.

Katie never wanted to move to Japan—now she may not make it out of the country alive.


My Review
Katie has to move to Japan after to the only family she has left. She knows many words in the language, customs leave her baffled and she is having a hard time adjusting. While she is trying to adjust to her new place, go to school and make friends she meets Tomohiro. He seems like a jerk and likes to be left alone but Katie sees drawings begin to move when he is near. She fights to learn more about who he is and why strange things happen around him. She soon learns he has special abilities and she seems to have a tie to them as well. Bad people will use them for their own gain if they find out so the two must hide all the while Katie is still adjusting to Japan.

Katie has suffered loss and it has left it's mark on her. She is smart but at times she runs right into trouble without thinking. Tomohiro is the bad boy everyone warns you about.. You know you should stay away but you can't help be drawn to him. He is smart and even if you can't tell it he does what he can to keep people safe. If people think he is a jerk that is just that much better for him as it's less people to get close to him or hurt. I din't like him much at first but he grew on me some.

As soon as I heard about this book I wanted to read it. It sounded so much different than the usual books out right now. It is different as I have never read anything like it. I love the ability Tomohiro has and enjoyed seeing what he could do. The setting is beautiful and you get to see different parts of Japan and you can visualize in your head the places Katie goes to. The author does a wonderful job writing this book as you can see what is going on in your head. It has several action scenes to keep you entertained whether it is school kendo scenes or someone after Katie and Tomohiro. You get to see some Japenese mythology as Katie learns more about her new surroundings and looks for clues. I like the first part of this book and the ending as well. For some reason the middle just fell a little flat for me and I had a hard time continuing the book. I am glad I did as the ending was very good. 

I like the cover and think once you read the book you will see it suits the book very well.

I received this book from NetGalley for an Honest review.

3 out of 5 Bats~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate