May 04, 2014

Interview With Author Stephanie Summers

Hi everyone we have an interview with Author Stephanie Summers today and info on her book!

What is your book(s) about?
Craving is the first book of The Willow Creek Vampires Series. As of now, I have three books planned in that series. Craving introduces Sabine Crowley. She lives in the town of Willow Creek, where vampires and the founders of the town have struck a deal that’s been upheld for the last 200 years. In exchange for protection from other vampires and supernatural creatures drawn to the area, one human is chosen every ten years to live with the vampires and provide sustenance to the vamp they’ve been paired with. This time, Sabine is chosen. She’s devastated even though she’s known most of her life this was most likely going to happen. She is paired with a vampire, Remy, who would rather be anywhere else in the world but Willow Creek. He’s been summoned by his maker who happens to be the vampire lord in town. There is an instant attraction between the two, though neither one can stand to be around the other, or at least try hard to convince themselves of that. Craving explores a little about the town, but mainly focuses on the interactions between Sabine and Remy and allows the reader to watch as their relationship forms and grows. The next book in the series, tentatively titled Haunting, will explore more of the town’s background along with Sabine and Remy’s trials and tribulations. 

What started your interest in writing?
I’ve always had what I would call a creative brain and I’ve always had very vivid dreams. Some scenes from dreams I’ve had have stayed with me for years because they were so detailed. I also find myself lost in thought in my own world at times, mostly when I’m trying to fall asleep. I decided one day a little over a year ago that maybe I could put some of these thoughts and ideas on paper and make something others would enjoy reading. 

What are you currently working on?
I’m currently working on Haunting, which is book #2 of The Willow Creek Vampires Series. I also have an untitled rock star romance in the works as well that I’m about half finished with. I’m aiming to have both of them released later in 2014. 

How long did it take you to get your rough draft finished on your latest release?
It actually only took me a month. I participated in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). This is held every November, and the goal is to write a full 50,000 word novel in one month. I somehow managed to complete that and spent the next three months revising and editing until I got to a version of the story I was satisfied with. 

If you could be any paranormal creature what would you be?
Either a vampire or a witch. 

What was the first book you remember reading?
I’m sure there were others before, but the first one I remember reading and falling in love with was Interview with the Vampire. It was not long after the movie came out, and I think I was maybe 12 years old. I bought the book for my sister for Christmas, and hurried up and read most of it before I gave it to her! Then I took it and finished it before she had the chance to read it! Not a bit selfish at all… 

How did you come up with your title?
Willow Creek came about because I wanted to have a series revolving around a specific town. I always loved weeping willow trees and decided to use the word willow. I then just sort of ran through a list of words to see what willow sounded best with. As far as Craving, I was listening to a song and the words kept coming up and it just fit the theme of the book. 

Are any of your characters like you?
I think my main characters tend to have a little bit of me in them, but I try not to make them identical to myself. I don’t think that would be any fun to write. 

What genres do you write in?
Currently I write in the paranormal romance and contemporary romance genres, but I’m considering branching out at some point. 

Is there anything you will never write about?
I would never write about a situation where a person is raped and they end up enjoying it. I know in some romance novels, more so in the 70s and 80s than more modern ones, there were story lines where the heroine is raped by the hero and she gives in to him and it’s just fantastic and they fall deeply in love. I’m sure there are people who enjoy reading those types of stories, but I won’t write one. Rape doesn’t lead to love.

Is there anything you would tell aspiring writers?
Just keep writing. Simple as that. 

What is your favorite paranormal being?
I’m a sucker for vampires. 

How do you react to a bad review?
I try not to focus on them too much, and weed out the ones who have nothing constructive to say from the ones who do offer suggestions. If a reviewer points out a specific flaw or point they didn’t like, I look at it and see if it’s something I can improve. If the reviewer just says something along the lines of, “This sucks, story is horrible,” I tend not to take them as seriously because they aren’t really saying anything constructive. 

Do you keep a notebook near your for when new ideas pop into your head?
Absolutely. I carry it to bed with me in case something strikes me in the middle of the night and it’s on the table beside me when I’m lounging around in my living room.

If you write a series do you reread your previous books before you begin the new one?
Yes. Even though I wrote the story and have been over it a hundred times, there are still minor details I might forget. So not only do I read through it before I begin the next one, I also do a skim through again somewhere near the middle of writing the next one to make sure there is continuity. 

Does much research go into your novels?
If I write about a place that actually exists I try to look into it to make sure I’m describing something correctly. I also research places and eras of history if I have characters from that place and time.

Is there anything you wish to say to your readers? 
Thank you! Thank you for taking the time to be interested in me and my writing. Thank you for giving me the chance to entertain you. 


Craving (Willow Creek Vampires Series) by Stephanie Summers
Blurb 
A small, idyllic town nestled in the Appalachian Mountains is home to a thriving community. People are happy, crime is practically nonexistent, life is good…unless you’re Sabine Crowley, who has been chosen to be the next blood bag for the vampire lord who has protected the town from otherworldly creatures for 200 years. 
Sabine has big dreams for her life, and none of them include becoming a vampire’s concubine. On her 18th birthday, she seeks solitude to process the cruel turn her destiny has taken. As she sits alone in Cleary Park, a sexy stranger approaches her. He’s tall, mysterious, handsome, and a complete jerk. He soon reveals himself to be a vampire and she’s terrified of him and her strange attraction to him. She wants to get as far away from him as possible, yet finds herself wondering if she’ll see him again. 
Remy, the cocky newcomer vampire, has been summoned by his maker, Bastian, to take his place beside him in the hierarchy of vampires inhabiting Willow Creek. He’s none too thrilled to be stuck in a boring little town in the middle of nowhere where he’ll have to feed exclusively from the girl he’s been paired with. He’s repulsed by the whole situation. 
When Sabine tries to run away from her fate, Remy is forced to follow and bring her back. They’re unwillingly thrust into each other’s lives and reluctantly find an undeniable attraction between themselves. Will they ever look past their contempt for one another and act on their urges? Or are they destined to hate each other forever?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate