January 11, 2014

Towering - Review

Towering
by Alex Flinn

Blurb
At first, I merely saw his face, his hands on the window ledge. Then, his whole body as he swung himself through the window. Only I could not see what he swung on.

Until, one day, I told my dream self to look down. And it was then that I saw. He had climbed on a rope. I knew without asking that the rope had been one of my own tying.

Rachel is trapped in a tower, held hostage by a woman she’s always called Mama. Her golden hair is growing rapidly, and to pass the time, she watches the snow fall and sings songs from her childhood, hoping someone, anyone, will hear her. 

Wyatt needs time to reflect or, better yet, forget about what happened to his best friend, Tyler. That’s why he’s been shipped off to the Adirondacks in the dead of winter to live with the oldest lady in town. Either that, or no one he knows ever wants to see him again.

Dani disappeared seventeen years ago without a trace, but she left behind a journal that’s never been read, not even by her overbearing mother…until now. 

My Review
Rachel has been locked in a tower by her momma to keep her safe. She spends her time reading, singing and watching her hair grow. She is very lonely and just wants a friend. Wyatt has been sent to live with his mothers best friend to help him forget. He is in the mountains with nothing to do. He goes into Dani's room and finds her journal. He hides it and reads it. All the while he is unraveling a mystery that happened years ago. He explores and finds Rachel. They have to finish the puzzle of Dani's journal to have a chance at a happily ever after.

I love retelling of fairytales and looked forward to reading this one about Rapunzle. It was an ok book that I had a few issues with. Sometimes in the beginning I had to go back to reread thinking I had missed something cause the story wasn't to clear. The more I read the more I understood what was going on. I liked how the author made this her own version. At times it seemed a little to instant love but I understand Rachel is starved for attention and Wyatt is lonely his self. There is more than he saves the girl in the tower. There is an element of mystery trying to see what happened to Dani and also an element of danger as it seems drugs are tied up in the story plot. This book moved at a decent pace. If you like fairy tale retellings you may enjoy this one.

3 out of 5 Bats~Pam

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for a honest review.

2 comments:

  1. This surely sounds like an enchanting tale. I’m going to add it to my ‘wish list’.
    Also the cover is simply gorgeous! It draws you in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I ask a question that has been bothering me for some time.
    Is it true that we have control over our destinies or is it true that our fate is pre ordained?
    I mean, is life what we make of it or is life written in stone so no matter what we think and do we follow a set path?
    How do experts feel about this?
    Thanks if you can offer advice

    ReplyDelete

Translate