April 19, 2014

Interview with Author Pippa DaCosta

Hi everyone! We are very happy to welcome Author Pippa DaCosta today to the page and blog. We have an interview with her and info on her book for you all.

What is your book(s) about?
Beyond The Veil is a fast paced urban fantasy. The emotionally and physical scarred main character, Muse, is trying to live a normal life, away from her bloodthirsty demon-kin, but being half-demon is not something she can run from. When an assassin attempts to kill her, she’s forced to return to the Prince of Greed and ask for help, but favors from a Prince of Hell aren’t cheap.

Beyond The Veil is my debut novel. Readers have called it gritty, raw, heartrending - some have cried, some get angry (there’s a bit of a disagreement out there as to whether Akil - the aforementioned Prince - is good or bad). It’s a rollercoaster read, for sure.

What started your interest in writing?
I can’t say I woke up one day and thought I’d like to be a writer. It was more of a itch I needed to scratch. I’ve always had an overactive imagination and used to invent dramatic story lines for my toys when I was young. These weren’t happy-ending princess stories, but plots brimming with intrigue and conflict, think Game of Thrones with My Little Pony’s. Once I started writing them down, I couldn’t stop. I’ve been writing for twenty years. Not as long as some!

What are your currently working on?
I’m editing the sequel to Beyond The Veil:- Devil May Care (#2 The Veil Series), which will be out at the end of May, and also writing the first draft of the third in the series. 

How long did it take you to get your rough draft finished on your latest release?
Six weeks, but that was writing for just two to three hours in the evening - every single day (much to my husbands annoyance!). I’m a full time Mom, so during the day I have two little terrors to look after. The only time I can write, undisturbed, is in the evening. Beyond The Veil was a fantastic book to write; the pace is blistering, the plot tight. I loved every word of it. 

If you could be any paranormal creature what would you be?
Dragon. Breathe fire, and fly? I’ll have some of that. 

What was the latest book you read?
I’m reading #7 Black dagger Brotherhood. I was really into the series a few years ago, but stopped (I think I had urban fantasy / PNR burn out and stopped reading in that genre for a while). Now I’m back to reading what I love. 

Are any of your characters like you?
I believe all of my characters have aspects of my personality in them, but they are their own entities. If they were like me, they’d never get anything done 

Do you have a favorite quote from your book(s)?
"He taught me that I wasn’t a worthless half-blood, neither was I a woman afraid. He taught me, by way of his touch, his snowflake kisses, and the warmth of him, that I could be loved." ~ Muse, Devil May Care #2 The Veil Series.

If zombies attacked what kind of supplies would you want?
Michonne from The Walking Dead got it right. You can’t run out of bullets if you use a katana (Japanese sword). Plus, I used to fence a few years ago, and love to work out my frustrations on the business end of a fencing foil.

What was the hardest part of writing your book(s)?
I wrestled with one of the alpha-male antagonists (not literally thankfully, as I’m tiny and he’d have eaten me for breakfast). I tried to push him in the direction of would-be hero, but he wasn’t having any of it. He won, and the genre went from PNR to Urban Fantasy to suit him. Alpha-males, eh, can’t live with ‘em, can’t live without ‘em.

Do you keep a notebook near your for when new ideas pop into your head?
I tried that, and kept forgetting the darn thing. So now I reach for my iPhone. I’ve been known to hop out of bed after midnight, scurry through my house and quickly tap out various quotes of ideas in the dark, by the light of my iPhone. It’s always with me, so it makes sense to keep everything on there. It’s also great for the kindle app. 

If you write a series do you reread your previous books before you begin the new one?
Yes. There are many underlining plots and themes that carry through the books in the series, not to mention the main story. I have bulging notebooks for each book, but a reread really does help (I’ve read Beyond The Veil so many times I should be able to recite it word for word). Also, as I’m working on the books out of order (ie editing one, rewriting another), I can sometimes slip into the wrong frame of mind for a character at a certain point, so a reread helps ground me in the correct developmental timeline.

Does much research go into your novels?
I’m always listening, filtering, and storing information in my mind for later use in my writing. You never know what you might need. I did research the seven Princes of Hell for The Veil Series, but as I write in urban fantasy, most research comes from the world around me and the limits of my imagination.


Beyond The Veil is through to the Quarter Finals of the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award

Blurb 
“They say I’m half demon, but I like to think of myself as half human, especially as the demons want me dead.” 

Charlie Henderson is living a lie. Her real name is Muse and her attempt at a normal life is about to go up in smoke. 

When a half-demon assassin walks into her life, leaving a trail of destruction in his wake, Muse must return to the one man she hoped never to see again and ask for help. The Prince of Greed isn’t known for his charity. The price is high, but the cost could tear her apart. 

Trapped between the malevolent intentions of a Prince of Hell, an assassin with ulterior motives, and her bloodthirsty demon-kin, Muse must embrace the lure of chaos at her core; the demon inside her, in order to survive. 

When your ex is the Prince of Greed, you'd better be ready to raise hell.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate